I wanted to make this non-dairy, delicious, relatively authentic, and easy to replicate time and again for consistency. To be honest I had never had horchata before making my own and I am really pleased with the results! I would love for you guys to try making this as well, and give me some feedback!
Things you need:
- A big tub or container.
- A blender
- Almond milk (I recommend Califia Farms original, what we use in the shop)
- Cinnamon (ground and stick)
- White Rice
- Vanilla extract
- Cheese Cloth
- 4 cups of uncooked rice
- 48 oz. Almond Milk
- 48 oz. Water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Sticks of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- Measure out and place 4 cups of uncooked white rice in your big container.
- Dump an entire jug of Califia Farms original almond milk in with the rice.
- Fill up the same jug with water, and dump that in with the rice as well.
- Add the other dry ingredients and stir gently until you feel like the sugar is dissolved, and all of the rice is wet.
- Put it in the fridge and let it soak overnight.
- Stir one last time to make sure everything is incorporated before emptying all the liquid and half of the solids into a blender. (you might have to do this in stages depending on your blender, or if you have an immersion blender, even better!)
- Blend everything together on high for about a minute.
- Cover a strainer with a double layer of cheese cloth and pour the contents from the blender over the strainer and into a pitcher.
- Enjoy over ice! I like to add an espresso and another sprinkle of cinnamon on top 😏
Let me know how it goes and what you think!